Sunday, January 23, 2011

More Soup



My family loves soup, and I'm glad they do. It's healthy, easy and cheap. I usually make a big pot of it every Sunday and we eat it well into the upcoming week. I don't follow any type of recipe. I just use what I have, and it always turns out great.

Winter Garden Soup

1 large onion
5 carrots, peeled and sliced
5 celery stalks, washed and diced
1 head cauliflower, cleaned and cut
2 heads broccoli, cleaned and cut
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
2 small zucchini (I found some itty bitty local, organic ones at my health food store. They are out of season, so only use these if they are organic and you know the source.)
5 leaves kale, washed and shredded
leftover chicken meat
5 small red potatoes, cleaned and diced
8-10 cups homemade chicken or beef stock
several dashes of basil and oregano
salt/pepper to taste

Saute the onion in butter or ghee for a few minutes. Add carrots and celery, saute a few minutes more. Add everything else to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover and let it simmer for 45 minutes.





**The cute husband enjoying his soup is optional, but really adds something to the meal. I highly recommend one.

1 comment: