Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Perfect for chilly fall nights

Colorful Chili

Your kids (and your husband) will have no idea that spinach is hidden in here!

1 lb grass fed beef, turkey, buffalo - whatever floats your boat
1 onion

Cook the meat and onion together. While it's cooking throw everything else in the crockpot.

1 28 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 28 oz can organic baked beans
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn
1/2-1 cup frozen spinach
salt, pepper
several shakes of chili powder and oregano - We like our chili really mild, you can always throw in more spices or a can of green chilies if you need to.

Add the meat/onion mixture. Stir it up. Cook on low 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.

I served this over brown rice. It would be great with some crushed tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, etc.

I think next time I might throw a few carrots in the food processor and cook them with the meat. I'll make it a game. I'll call it "how many vegetables can I sneak in the chili before someone notices". Is it sad that I get excited about something like that? Welcome to motherhood.


Before:



After:

No comments:

Post a Comment