Sunday, May 2, 2010

Saturday, a day late

Yesterday was a busy day! My mom came up to our place around 9am. We left from there and went to West VA for my cousin, Amanda's baby shower. It was fun to see family and enjoy my Aunt's fabulous cooking. We drove home, put the kiddies in bed and Rhett and I went out to downtown Alexandria for a date. Our dates are very few and far between, so we really enjoy our time together when we get the chance.

Yesterday isn't what I would call a 'healthy' day. But, it was a fun day. I ate cake, M&M's and ice cream. Woops. I'm am passionate about healthy eating, but I'm also passionate about not being too serious. I indulged and I'm ok with that. I'll get myself right back on track.


Here's what we ate...

Breakfast - Saturday is pancake day in our home. It's one of the 3 things Seth will eat, so we try to embrace it as a family once a week. It makes Seth so happy when we all eat the same thing together. I found a recipe a while back online for banana oatmeal pancakes. I've tweaked it quite a bit and made it my own.

Banana Oatmeal Pancakes

2 cups rolled oats
2 cups water
1 banana
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp coconut oil
1 tbsp hemp seed, optional (added for extra protein)
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
dash of cinnamon

Put all of the ingredients in to the blender and blend until smooth. Cook on a griddle. Serve with Grade B Maple Syrup.

I couldn't get a good picture of these. The kids were too excited.





Lunch - A wonderful spread at my Aunt Jen's house. Spinach quiche, salad with fresh veggies, blueberry muffins, fresh fruit. It was all fabulous. I often think of my Aunt Jen when I think about real food. She is an amazing cook. After lunch we had a piece of too-good-for-words cake. I really don't know how to describe this cake. Heaven. Purely heaven. Again, I had such a good time seeing family that I haven't seen in a while.







Dinner - I threw this little number in the crockpot, since I was going to be out of the house all day. Chicken, onions, tomatoes, garlic, spices. All served over a bed of soaked brown rice that was cooked in chicken broth. So delicious. My mom was here, so I had to feed her right.









Date Night - Cold Stone, birthday cake remix. In my defense, Rhett didn't even run it by me. He just pulled up in the parking lot and said "we're getting ice cream". I gave into peer pressure. It was dang good, but we're both feeling the effects of it today. Rhett's nose is running, throat is itching, etc. I've got a headache and major sugar cravings. Oh well, like I said, it was dang good.

No comments:

Post a Comment